12 April 2013

KENYA : Dan Okwiri dumps KPA for Thunder

Dan Okwiri in action for Thunder
Dan Okwiri in action for Thunder

Updated on 11/04/13 | By BRIAN AYIEKO

Veteran point guard Dan Okwiri has decamped from Mombasa based Kenya Ports Authority basketball team to Nairobi based Thunder for the 2013 KBF Premier League season.
Okwiri made his debut for the Shauri Moyo based side on Sunday in their 71-60 win over USIU Tigers at the Nyayo Gymnasium. Speaking to michezoafrika.com Okwiri explained that his decision to quit the side was raised by a number of reasons;
“First of all the technical bench wanted younger players in the team and I was one of the oldest so I had to leave and create room. Also the on and off issues in the team were a factor that made me seek a move away.”
On why he decided to move to Thunder, Okwiri stated that he wanted a team that he could help grow and also a way of giving back to God.
“Thunder is a growing team that I would be glad to be part of as it grows and that is the reason I decided to join them. Also, the fact it’s a Christian based team was a motivation to me as I saw it as a way of giving thanks to God for my playing career.”
In terms of training and playing Okwiri explains that he has already agreed with Thunder as he is still based in Mombasa.
“I will seek some time off work probably take a leave then train with the team intensively for some time in order to get into their playing system. After that I will be coming a day before match days in readiness for a game.”
He continues to add that he will not be playing all games but the crucial matches, “There are other players that can play my position and as I said I wanted to be part of a growing team in that case I will let the younger players play often and will participate only in the tough, crucial matches.”
Thunder have already started their 2013 campaign on a flying note after beating the 2012 Defending Champions Co-op Bank and also the runners up USIU Tigers in the two matches that they have played so far.

Comments:
Hello colleagues, pleasant article and fastidious urging commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by
these.

Feel free to surf to my blog :: this site
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?