07 March 2006

GAMBIA: Two for Gambia in Finland

Baboucarr Bojang is hitting the headlines for the obvious reasons in the Finnish media.

The 25-year-old Gambian and former Illinois State basketballer has immerged as the darling of Kauhajoki Karhu, (Kauhajoki Bears) a second division team in the Finnish basketball league.

The 2.04m forward is averaging 15 points a game, a feat quite challenging by any standard.

Baboucarr Bojang (alias Gambialainen Super Tahti), who played for the Redbirds in 2002 and 2003, is attempting to work his way through the European basketball world.

But he believes he is far from the last. "I'm working day and night to get myself in a position to make a lot of money to help improve basketball in The Gambia," Bojang said.

Speaking from Kauhajoki, Bojang couldn't suppress his delight. "I am very please to speak to you. I seldom hear from Gambians much more a journalist. I am very lonely in here but I have a job to do.

"I spend the entire week doing media and press promotions for my team dubbed Boo 23 Basketball Foundation. It's a long way to go but I'm confident that something will come out of it. I had some good responses and friends in the basketball fraternity are willing to help."

Baboucarr, who couldn't wait for my questions was quick to lay down his vision on Gambian basketball and what he intends to do.

Ambitions seems to be the driving force behind the young man. "I want to start a project and I need a lot of money. I want to give more children the chance to play basketball after school. I'd like to create an after-school program where children can go and have recreation time in the gym.

The project would also provide food for them. And they would be supervised full-time by a trainer earning a monthly salary," he said.

Baboucarr said he is trying to make ends meet while in Finland but hopefully he will be moving to Austria next season from where he is considering two offers presently. "I plan to raise funds for this project and will settle for any thing because I know how far the few Dollars and Euros could go."

Baboucarr said he last visited The Gambia last June for the first time in nine years after playing professionally in Denmark where he averaged nearly 30 points and 12 rebounds for Glostrup during his second season in 2004/5.

Bojang still hopes to achieve big things on the basketball courts of Europe.

The Banjul native is one of only two professional basketballers presently produced by The Gambia and are all presently in Finland.Pierre Jallow is currently playing for Kouvut.

Kauhajoki Karhu are currently 4th in the league and will be going for the playoffs for promotion to Division one.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?